Friday 13 June 2008

D'oh!

Disillusionment hits like a speeding bullet after my last post - I was just trawling the news and comment on the by election, when my attention was directed to this piece of digging on Matt T's Blog. Yes, David Davis voted for the previous increase in detention without trial from 14 to 28 days. He played his own part in the erosion of civil liberties. Maybe he's not inconsistent, but has just seen the light and repented of his earlier decision, but I think I might be heading back to weary cynicism here. Still, 28 days is a little less bad than 42, I suppose...

2 comments:

Philip said...

Also, when the Government proposed 28 days, it was not as down and hence not as kickable as it is now.

Andrew King said...

True. Takes the shine off a principled stand when someone's stance changes according to how strong the other side are, even though the arguments haven't changed a jot