Wednesday 24 March 2010

It's all about you

I love the title of this blog post at Obsolete:

Intensely relaxed about getting filthy rich comes full circle.

A person could write paragraphs about the "Lobbygate - Reloaded" affair, about pots calling kettles black, about how it's not just a few bad apples [insert your own favourite cliché here]... The writer could highlight the erosion of the public service ethos, the starry-eyed worship of power and money, the corrupting lust for fame - but compressing the essence of all that into the title of your blog post is sheer bloody poetry.

It's hard to top that as a summary of all that's been most disappointing about New Labour™, but the people at NescafĂ© almost did it, when they came up with a short, superbly vague, vacuous, aspirational, me-generation phrase to flog instant coffee. I'm almost surprised that the spin doctors didn't borrow the slogan for the forthcoming election campaign:

New Labour™ - it's all about you



Well - we had fair warning warning that these people were living in a gilded bubble of self-obsession. Cast your mind back to 2001:

It was said that I was facing political oblivion, my career in tatters, apparently never to be part of the political living again. Well, they underestimated Hartlepool and they underestimated me, because I'M A FIGHTER, NOT A QUITTER!

My political opponents can have their pound of flesh - and they do - but they will never eat into the core of my beliefs; what I stand for, what I have done in politics and what remains to do and that is the inner steel in me.


That speech told you everything you needed to know about the passions that really move wannabe X-Factor contestants the most ambitious, narcissistic New Labour™ career politicians. It's all about me, me, me, me, me, me, me, me, me, me.....

And don't get me started about the teeny-tiny people in the little blue house next door...

0 comments: