Friday 4 March 2011

The canary in the coal mine

Spring's definitely in the air. This morning dawned overcast and a bit cold but I was getting up in real daylight, not dragging myself out of bed at that bleary oh-God-it's-still-dark hour and, outside the window, a blackbird was pouring out its burbling brook of song. Then I turned on the radio and discovered that the tired old Lib Dem canary is feeling a considerably less chipper than the full-voiced blackbird:

Labour have won the Barnsley Central by-election, while the Lib Dems slipped to sixth in the South Yorkshire seat.

I think I heard the word 'humiliating' somewhere in the report, too. Isn't it great when something puts a spring in your step and a smile on your lips before you've even had breakfast? I definitely got out of bed on the right side this morning.

0 comments: