Wednesday 23 September 2015

Volkswagen does a Renault

I'm grateful to Volkswagen's now ex-CEO, Martin Winterkorn, for this opportunity to yet again recycle one of my all-time favourite movie quotes:
"I am shocked by the events of the past few days," Winterkorn said in a statement released Wednesday. "Above all, I am stunned that misconduct on such a scale was possible in the Volkswagen Group."
Maybe the head honcho really didn't know what was going on, but I do suspect that, like Captain Renault in Casablanca, he would say that, wouldn't he?
Captain Renault: I'm shocked, shocked to find that gambling is going on in here!
[a croupier hands Renault a pile of money]
Croupier: Your winnings, sir.
Captain Renault: [sotto voce] Oh, thank you very much.
Captain Renault: [aloud] Everybody out at once!

0 comments: